Hello and welcome to my next renovation project.
I'm sorry for writing in English, but it's still hard for me to write longer texts in German.
For a quite some time I was looking for a missing Saba from a season 35/36 – model 530 or 531 (I'm missing 336, but it's not a priority). I noticed those are really hard to find. Around a month ago I saw an auction with very bad 530WL starting from around 0.25 Euro. Finally I won that auction for 10 Euro – but radio was missing loudspeaker, knobs, transformer and tubes. But even so... I picked up radio from seller who gave me also two bad and partly dismantled chassis from 531WL and 335WL.
I decided on rebuilding the radio as best as I can (I have quite some part collection from Saba radios) – seems like pointless work but I have a soft spot for models from that season – apparently very few people like them.
First, two pictures from the auction:
9d0b4cfe4b7a92558b62d24dbe40.jpg [ 176.71 KiB | 1068-mal betrachtet ]
9d97af184b6392e852db2086751b.jpg [ 179.55 KiB | 1068-mal betrachtet ]
About Drehko – it's of course broken but I have a spare one from season 37/38 – they are virtually the same except they are without zinc-pest problem. Brass belt from tuning mechanism is torn and zinc clutch was swollen, but otherwise mechanism is complete (belt tension screws are very important).
First thing I did was to draw a more or less exact „map” of underside of the chassis – radio was repaired many times in the past, so I couldn't trust some of the connections. Then I separated metal parts for galvanization and painting. As it was, additional chassis was in better condition than the original one.
IMG_20190101_173620.jpg [ 179.12 KiB | 1068-mal betrachtet ]
IMG_20190101_173729.jpg [ 175.93 KiB | 1068-mal betrachtet ]
I also made a list of components in accordance with service manual – I have all necessary resistors but a few of capacitors are missing, tube sockets are all checked and replaced when it was neccessary, polished switching axle and washed all the contact sets, also I managed to make a new tape for tuning mechanism, although from aluminium.
After a week I picked up parts from galvanization, meanwhile I painted chassis and its parts in silver very similar to original shade of paint. So it looks like parts straight from the factory.
001.JPG [ 178.51 KiB | 1068-mal betrachtet ]
And that is the state of radio now – in the coming days I should start putting it all together but I know it's a long way before radio would play again.
As it is of course there are problems. Especially that I still miss some parts which are:
- original mains trafo.
I have similar transformer but I'm not sure if it's any good. I have loudspeaker but it's cone is cracked around the edges – those are the problems that maybe can be solved.
But if someone has knobs and amperometer (can be broken, I will repair it), that would be great...
PS: Please reply in German, I'm still learning.